Retail returns suck. We all hate packing, printing, and shipping unwanted items only to wait weeks for a refund … And retailers have it rough too. They have to figure out what has to be re-sold, refurbished, or recycled, and if they don’t figure it out fast enough, they might as well send everything to a landfill. Nobody wins.
This is why ReturnBear exists. We are Canada’s first end-to-end reverse logistics solution. Our nationwide drop-off network means immediate exchanges and returns with no re-packing. We sort and QA goods to get inventory back to merchants fast, giving retailers 20%+ savings and making consumers happier. We make returns easy for everyone and better for the planet.
As an engineer at ReturnBear, you’ll get a chance to own a piece of the code that powers a key part of our business. You’ll be encouraged to speak with the product and operations teams and be actively involved in feature creation, rather than just passively deliver on feature requests. We feel that early input from engineering is key to success.
As an individual contributor, you’ll be given the opportunity to specialize and do high quality work. We want you to become an expert in your own domain. You'll ship code but also be a part of peer reviewing your team's code.
We are looking for backend and fullstack engineers with at least 3 years of experience in some of the following technologies and frameworks.
- GraphQL - Strawberry or Graphene
- Public API generation and documentation
Candidates will be assessed at each of the following steps.
- We receive your profile, resume, etc.
INTRO: 15 min
- Online conference call with Head of Engineering
TAKE-HOME EXERCISE: Return within 7 days of receiving.
- Open ended coding exercise submitted on GitHub
PAIR PROGRAMMING: 1.5 hours
- With 2 engineering leads.
- Real-world problem solving exercise.
CULTURE FIT WITH CEO: 45 min
- We are a well-funded startup and can pay competitive salaries.
WHAT WE LOOK FOR
- Ownership mentality. “It’s their problem, not mine” doesn’t have a place here. You own the problems and challenges that you see, and proactively work with your colleagues to turn them into opportunities. We’re in it together!
- Growth mindset. You learn from your mistakes and believe in human potential. It’s not that you can’t overcome the challenge you’re facing, it’s just that you haven’t overcome it yet. You appreciate the diverse thoughts and perspectives of your colleagues, partners and clients, and you are committed to actively listening and learning.
- Getting things done. You are keen to do great work, and ship things often. “Done is better than perfect” might be something you believe in, and while you always strive to deliver what is best for you and your team, you realize that sometimes you’ll have to circle back on it to iterate and make improvements.
- Flexibility and comfort in ambiguity. You embrace the agile nature of design and development, and you are equally comfortable pivoting your plan and process as you are establishing a workback schedule. Try as we might, things won’t always go as planned, and you always try to be ready to deal with that as it comes.
- Passion for the problems we’re solving. You understand how ecommerce and retail ecosystems are growing with emerging brands and solution providers, and you’re keen to make an impact not just on the lives of customers, but on the businesses of our merchant partners and on the environment as well. Together we can save merchants and their customers time and money, AND we can help keep returns out of landfills.
- Diversity and inclusion. We encourage applications from all qualified candidates regardless of their background, sexuality, physical abilities and ways of self-identification.
- Honing your craft, your way. We provide the opportunities to develop your skills and knowledge. We work collaboratively and flexibly, with opportunities to shape a hybrid working style suited to your needs.
- All-you-can-pop bubble wrap. The popit craze has nothing on good ol’ bubble wrap. Pop your way to zen, in true reverse logistics style.